Help & Advice - FAQs
Everything you need to know about working with Canvas Holidays.
The recruitment process
Employment Application Form
If you are interested in working with Canvas Holidays then you will need to complete an application form. This can be completed online.
Please ensure that you respond to all questions fully. Incomplete applications may delay the application process.
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- A minimum of 1 year in a customer service role
- Previous hospitality/tour operator/camping experience
- Professional cleaning experience
- Conversational / Fluent Spoken Languages
We can only accept one application form per person so, if you are applying with a partner, you will both need to complete two separate application forms. There is a section to add your partner's name on the application form.
If you have worked for Canvas Holidays in the last two years then you are not expected to complete the full application form. Please complete a re-application form.
Once your Application form has been submitted
If you are successful with your application we will invite you for a face-to-face interview in one of our regional interviews. The Canvas office is based in Dunfermline so out of peak recruiting times all interviews will be completed in Head Office.
If You Are Selected For Interview
- Interviews will be on a one to one basis with a member of our operations team.
- We aim to respond to you within 5 working days of your interview by email. At this stage we will confirm whether or not your application has been successful, the position offered, the dates of employment and, for full season placements, the area you have been allocated to.
- You must respond to this email within 5 working days to let us know you wish to accept the offer of employment.
Training and support
- All our overseas staff will receive comprehensive training either at an overseas regional training site or on your allocated campsite. You will be trained by experienced members of staff who have an excellent knowledge of the job and a good understanding of the on-site roles. You will also be provided with comprehensive handbooks detailing all procedures within the role you will be expected to undertake. Prior to starting employment you will be required to undertake training via the internet and you will be provided with an internet link, login name and password before your start date which will give you the theory you need to succeed in your position.
- You will be supported and managed overseas by a Canvas Holidays Regional Manager, who will ensure that you receive all the support and assistance that you require. There is also an excellent support team on hand 24 hours a day overseas, and in the UK head office. Many of the operations team have worked in various roles overseas so we have a wealth of experience to assist you in getting the most out of your season!
Overseas staff travel arrangements
- We will normally arrange transport for you a few weeks before your start date. We will contact you before making arrangements. At the end of your contract, a contribution will be made towards your return travel. If it is agreed that you can take your own vehicle then a contribution will be made towards your travel costs, the exact details will be sent with your joining instructions.
- Please remember that the cost of any travel within the UK will be at your own expense.
- We will arrange your travel from training to your campsite. You may be flying to the area where you will be based for the season, so please take this into account when packing as airlines are very strict on the amount of baggage you can take on board.
What to pack
Here is a list of essential items that you will need to bring with you, and a few suggestions for items that you may like to bring along. Please remember that when packing you should ensure your luggage does not exceed 20kgs. Try and limit your luggage to one suitcase or rucksack. This is due to some members of staff being flown to site and many airlines charging for exceeding the limit!! (You will be responsible for covering any excess baggage charges)
- Sleeping bag
- International Bank cards for access to money - (don’t forget your PIN number)
- European Health Insurance Card
- Passport & other necessary visas/travel documents where applicable
- Any personal medication you require
- Baggage insurance documents
- Copies of all contractual literature we have sent you
- Driving licence - (if you are over 21 and hold a current full driving licence).
- Basic toiletry kit, hand cream and sun protection – (please note that these can be bought overseas)
- Navy or white training shoes to wear with uniform
- Clothes for days and nights off
Montage and Demo Checklist
- Gardening or light waterproof gloves
- Sturdy waterproof boots
- Waterproof Jacket
- Clothes you do not mind working in and getting dirty
- Pillow and Sheet
- Hot water bottle - we are sure you will find this a welcome addition, especially in low season and on montage/de montage!
- Basic first aid kit for yourself e.g. plasters, aspirins etc.
- Alarm Clock
What's in it for you?
Working overseas can be a very big step to take. You will be able to experience different cultures and ways of life, enjoy a fantastic summer, friends for life and great job satisfaction. You’ll gain invaluable experience of working with the public as well as giving you many new skills and developing existing ones. We understand the importance of personal development and encourage our staff to move into more senior positions in their subsequent seasons. We can guarantee it really will be a summer to remember!
- Fully equipped accommodation – either a Canvas Holidays tent or mobile home. You may be in this on your own or sharing with members of your team.
- Competitive salary
- Uniform which you should wear when carrying out your day to day on-site tasks.
- Emergency medical Insurance in case of serious illness (doesn’t include pre-existing conditions and you will still require your European Health Insurance Card which covers you for day to day medical problems)
- Comprehensive training either at one of our residential training courses or on your allocated campsite
- 24hr back up
- Contribution towards travel costs
- Monthly salary paid into your UK bank account
- The opportunity to progress within the company in future seasons